Math 115 - Calculus with Applications
Detailed Text Book Information
The required text for this course is Calculus with Applications, Brief Version, 7th edition by Margaret L.
Lial, Raymond N. Greenwell, and Nathan P. Ritchey. The book is published by Addison Wesley under at least three different ISBN:
- ISBN 0-321-06712-6 was ordered by the MCC bookstore.
- ISBN 0-201-77318-X seems to be identical to the one ordered by the bookstore. This is the number used by the publisher's web
site, and it also comes up for at least one of the major internet booksellers.
- ISBN 0-201-76066-5 is the same text bundled with the web-based MathXL service. I have not found any way that a student can
order this bundled package, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
The text has a variety of companion resources. I don't know if the bookstore carries any of these or not, but they are certainly
available without too much effort:
- Student's Solutions Manual (Recommended), ISBN 0-321-06716-9. I recommend this item for students who find it helpful to see
more examples worked out. Solutions to all of the odd numbered problems are presented in reasonable detail. Homework will be assigned
from the even numbered problems in the text, but most of those have one or more odd-numbered problems that are very similar. You can
download Chapter 1 Sample Solutions from the publisher,
and you can order the solutions manual from the publisher
if the bookstore doesn't have it in stock.
- MathXL (Optional). This is a web-based service that provides the student with exercises and and study guidance. I've looked at it
reasonably closely, and I've set up a section at the MathXL site. If any students use the service, I will be able to monitor their
progress. In principle, I can make suggestions to the student, or use it to get a sense of what we might need to cover more. In
practice, I don't know how useful it will be. You would probably have to
order MathXL from the publisher. If you use this service, send
me an e-mail and we'll see how it works.
- Graphing Calculator Manual (Optional, no recommendation). I have not seen this item, so I can't say whether or not it would
be useful. The publisher's description reads:
This manual provides detailed information on using a graphing calculator with
this text. Support for the TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, and TI-89 is included. You can
order the graphing calculator manual from the publisher.
Last modified: Date: 2002/05/22