Math 103 - Statistics
Detailed Text Book Information
The required text for this course is Elementary Statistics: A Step by Step Approach, 4th edition by
Allan G. Bluman. The book is published by McGraw Hill under at least two different ISBN:
- ISBN 0-07-240844-8 is the most common one I've seen for ordering. With this ISBN, I received the book and a CD-ROM
- ISBN 0-07-231694-2 is the ISBN printed on the book that I received. This ISBN also comes up in searches at Internet booksellers.
I don't know if it comes with the CD-ROM study guide. I would guess that it does not.
The text has a variety of companion resources. I don't know if the bookstore carries any of these or not, but they are certainly
available without too much effort:
- Student's Solutions Manual (Recommended), ISBN 0-07-237587-6. I recommend this item for students who find it helpful to see
more examples worked out. Solutions to all of the odd numbered problems are presented in reasonable detail. Homework will
be assigned from the even numbered problems in the text, but most of those have one or more odd-numbered problems that are
very similar. You can order the solutions manual from
Barnes and Noble or from
if the bookstore doesn't have it in stock.
- CD-ROM Electronic Study Guide (not recommended), ISBN 0-07-237588-4. Comes with a new text book. I was not impressed.
- Graphing Calculator Manual (No recommendation), ISBN 0072446455. I haven't seen this item, but the text book already has
very good support for students using the TI-83. The publisher's description reads:
This manual teaches students
to use the TI-83 calculator through a sequence and terminology that parallels what they would learn in a typical introductory
statistics course. Many of the examples are from the Elementary Statistics textbook.
- Student Study Guide (no recommendation), ISBN 0-07-237586-8. I haven't seen this item, so I can't say whether or
not it would be useful. The publisher's description reads:
This guide will assist students in understanding and
reviewing key concepts and preparing for exams. It emphasizes all important concepts contained in each chapter, includes
explanations, and provides opportunities for students to test their understanding by completing related exercises and problems.
Last modified: Date: 2002/06/08